Welcome to our very first self storage blog! Here we hope to keep you all informed, advised and entertained so check back regularly to see what we have been talking about! We thought we’d kick off with some helpful tips for all you downsizers out there….
Here at the store room self storage company, we know better than most that if you’re not organised, moving house can be one of the most stressful things that you will ever do, perhaps even more so when you are downsizing from a larger property to a smaller one. That’s why we’ve put together these handy tips to help guide you along the way and hopefully save you some sleepless nights!
1. Well before you need to move, make a list of all the items that you have in your current home, by room – and don’t forget places such as the loft, hidden storage cupboards, the cellar, the garage and the shed, or maybe even the servants quarters! This list will give you a central point that you can refer back to throughout the process of moving. It will also give you an honest picture of what you currently have – and then it will allow you to make the decision as to whether or not you really need those 7 boxes of Cat Stevens LP’s that have been gathering dust since you last moved house!
2. When you have this list, the next thing to do is to draw a simple plan of your new property and then going back through your original list and writing next to each item where this will go in your new home. Some things will be easy, some will not, so be realistic.
3. At this stage, if you are downsizing you will have a number of items on your list that you have not allocated a place for anywhere yet. Either because you have not decided where to put them or because (more likely), it has dawned on you that you will simply not have as much space as you used to and now a decision needs to be made.
4. Here at our self storage company, one of our most frequent customer types are the ones who are in exactly the situation that we are describing earlier. They are downsizing and have excess furniture and household bric-a-brac that they want to keep. They have sorted through their things as well as they can, got rid where possible, but the remaining items are their possessions that they just don’t want to let go of. That’s where we come in. You may have lost a spare room, but there’s no reason why you can’t rent a secure self storage room at one of our 6 local storage sites. We have units for rent of all different sizes, which means that however much or however little you have we will have a unit suitable for you. You can access your room at any point during our extensive opening hours, which is ideal if you have items that you use frequently (golf clubs is one we see quite a lot!) and also if you still have some sorting out of your items to do. Reserving a self storage room couldn’t be easier and you can even do it quickly and easily with our free online reservation system.
5. As well as providing self storage rooms at our sites, we work in partnership with a company called PODS, the biggest moving and storage company in the world, which means we can bring storage right to your door. PODS is a revolutionary concept where we deliver a storage unit to your house, you fill it in your own time, and when the day comes to move PODS will pick up the unit from your old property and take it into storage for as long as you need it for or take it straight to your new property (if you do not need storage) where you can unload your unit in your own time. The choice is completely yours. Take a look at this video to see the concept in action.
We hope this advice will help you if you are planning to downsize or move house – if you would like to discuss any of our storage and moving services then feel free to give us a call on 0800 158 533 or send us an email.
Thanks for reading!