22 April 2020
The Store Room’s self storage facilities are open during the COVID-19 UK lockdown period in order to provide an essential service to a wide range of customers from the local community (storage and warehousing is identified as a key industry which can remain open in the Government’s guidance).
Who Are We Supporting By Staying Open?
Our customer base is extremely varied, and here are some examples from our Manchester storage facility of the types of customers who rely on our storage services:
- Our services are used by a number of essential retailers which are open during the lockdown period – such as local convenience stores who use us to ensure they have the essential stock available in their shops, which is more important than ever at the moment.
- We provide much needed storage to public sector organisations, such as the NHS, who need to store vital supplies and equipment, as well as local authorities who are supporting the people in their areas in a number of key ways. (It of course goes without saying that the NHS staff – and all essential workers – deserve a massive THANK YOU for all they are doing during this period).
- Also using us for storage are businesses which provide essential and emergency services, including tradespeople who are still operating – like plumbers, electricians and those who support the IT and communications infrastructure.
- We have domestic household customers who may need storage in an emergency or need to access their storage for an essential reason. We are open for these customers also if they are following the Government guidance regarding unnecessary travel.
- We have a number of charities who use our services to support vulnerable people in the local community and they are doing a fantastic job in the current crisis.
- Finally, our locations serve a number of online retailers (such as Amazon and eBay shops), which in some cases have become busier than ever with people being encouraged to shop online whilst they are at home, rather than going out.
Safety First In Our Self Storage Facilities
Whilst we are proud to be supporting the above industries, the safety of our staff and customers is our number one priority, which is why we’ve introduced a number of safety measures at each of our storage locations. These include:
- Limiting the number of staff on-site at any one time in order to follow the correct levels of social distancing.
- Asking all visitors to our buildings for keep at least 2 metres apart and follow the guidelines in relation to hand hygiene.
- Our sites are not generally crowded or busy, but we have notices displayed at all entrance points to remind people about the importance of following the social distancing rules.
- Our staff have intensified the cleaning of areas and items in our facilities which are regularly touched – such as trolley handles and keypads.
- Finally, we have asked all of our customers not visit our sites under any circumstances if they have the COVID-19 symptoms.
- We encourage everyone to go to https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus find out more about the Government’s guidance.
We hope that the measures we are taking and the measures the wider society is taking will mean that we will all soon be able to get back to normal as soon as possible, when it is safe to do so.
We’d like to wish all of our customers and friends the very best and please stay safe!